Wednesday 14 July 2010

A letter from Spain

The very first ever letter from my first pen pal Paula in Spain arrived today! I did know to expect it, but nethertheless I was so excited to walk into the kitchen and see my letter sitting on the kitchen table.


Do you remember the "ye olde days" of pen pals! In primary school everyone had a pen pal, it was what you did after you had to look after that egg as if it were your child for a week. If it was well organised, most likely by a school, you would be paired up with a pen pal from somewhere on the other side of the world. Usually from Italy, France, Japan, Germany. You know, so kids could improve the language they were chained down and forced to learn until at least the third year of high school, and then regretfully forget later in life when a bilingual tongue would have been useful. In retrospect I think we all took the pen pal relationship for granted, I bet no one ever wrote more then one letter to their pen pal. Now as an adult I sit and think, brainwashed by facebook (and bebo and myspace and that twitter thing), how nice and unusually quaint it is to write almost meaningless letters to a stranger on the other side of the world.

If you want to get involved with the pen pal project you should definitely visit Indifixx.

No comments:

Post a Comment